skip to content

Responding to concerns

Contact information for responding to concerns about children or young people

Commission for Children and Young People telephone enquiry line

The Commission is not an official complaints or review body, but is able to provide information and assistance to people with concerns about the safety and wellbeing of children and young people.

Enquiry line: 1300 78 29 78

  • Our telephone enquiry line is monitored between 10am and 4pm on weekdays.
  • Select the Enquiry option at the prompt.
  • You will be asked to leave your name and contact details and advised the person on duty will call you back during operating hours, or the next working day.

Concerns about children

If you have concerns about the immediate safety and wellbeing of a child or young person, you are advised to call 000 or the Department of Human Services (DHS) office nearest to where the child or young person lives.

See Department of Health and Human Services Victoria contact information

  • Concerns about services delivered by the Department of Health and Human Services

    If you are concerned about the services delivered by the Department of Health and Human Services, please call the Department of Health and Human Services complaints line on 1300 884 706 or send an email to

Children known to Child Protection

If you would like to speak with us about a child or young person already known to Child Protection, we may be able to assist by referring your concerns to the Client Outcomes and Services Improvement Unit in the Department of Human Services.

We regularly refer people to other organisations who are best able to answer their enquiry. Some of our most frequent referrals are about the following:

  • Working with Children Check

The Working with Children Check Unit is located at the Department of Justice. The Working with Children Check website is an excellent source of information. Its information line is 1300 652 879.

  • Education and Early Years

The Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD) has an information line - 1300 307 415.

The licensing of children's services is managed by DEECD. The Early Years Service Provider website has information about:

  • legislation and licensing
  • funding
  • inclusion support and intervention.

Parents may call the information line 1300 307 415 to register a concern about Early Years' services.

The Parents' website provides information and support relating to:

  • maternal and child health
  • childcare
  • kindergartens and
  • playgroups.

Royal Children's Hospital Safety Centre

For advice on a broad range of safety issues, please call the Royal Children's Hospital Safety Centre on 9345 4085 or send an email to