The Commission for Children and Young People
The Commission for Children and Young People has been established to promote continuous improvement and innovation in:
- policies and practices relating to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people generally, and in particular those who are vulnerable
- the provision of out of home care services for children.
The Commission acts with independence and impartiality, demonstrating integrity and respect.
News and events
The Commission turns one
We've just celebrated our first anniversary!
The Commission was established on 1 March 2013 following a transition from the Office of the Child Safety Commissioner.
"The last year has been incredibly busy, with all of us working alongside committed services providers and policy makers to enhance the safety and well-being of Victoria's children and young people, in particular those who are vulnerable. We have determined our future strategic priorities, and are in the process of sharing these with government agencies.
Our Strategic Plan 2014-16 will soon be available on this site for you to see what we have in mind for the next few years."
Deb ball for young people in out of home care
The 2014 Debutante Ball for young people in out of home care is coming up on 6th August!
Now is a great time for agency staff to start talking to young people who are living in care or who have recently left care about their interest in participating in the event.
More details will follow soon!
5 March 2014
Black and white photos taken by children living in out of home care that were exhibited at Fed Square in September 2013.
3 March 2014
Nominations now open
The Awards aim to recognise individuals, communities and organisations that have played their part in promoting the safety and wellbeing of children and young people in Australia, particularly in vulnerable communities.
Don't miss this opportunity to highlight the inspiring initiatives that are taking place in your community.
25 February 2014
Berry Street Childhood Institute presents Imaginate, a competition for young people aged 13 - 25 to creatively share ideas on 'what makes a good childhood'.
Law, policy and reform submissions
25 February 2014
Our core functions include:
- Providing advice to Ministers, Government Departments, health services and human services relating to the safety and wellbeing of vulnerable children and young people.
- Promoting the interests of vulnerable Victorian children and young people.
- Conducting inquiries into service provision or omission in regard to:
- children who have died and were known to child protection at the time of their death or 12 months before their death
- the safety and wellbeing of an individual or group of vulnerable children and young people
- a health service, human service or school where there are persistent or recurring systemic concerns.
For more detailed information about the Commission's functions, see Legislation and Policy