The Commission for Children and Young People
The Commission for Children and Young People has been established to promote continuous improvement and innovation in:
- policies and practices relating to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people generally, and in particular those who are vulnerable
- the provision of out of home care services for children.
The Commission acts with independence and impartiality, demonstrating integrity and respect.
News and events
Commission for Children and Young People Aboriginal Inclusion Action Plan 2016 - 2019
A statement from Commissioner Andrew Jackomos
Andrew Jackomos, Victoria’s Commissioner for Aboriginal Children and Young People calls for urgent action to support
Aboriginal children and young people so that they can enjoy their rights to freedom, protection and culture.
Following the recent retirement of Bernie Geary, the Hon. Frank Vincent AO QC has assumed the role of Acting Principal Commissioner.
Mr Vincent has had a distinguished career as a Judge of the Supreme Court, Chancellor of Victoria University and Chair of the Adult Parole Board. He also acted as the Legal Counsel to the Betrayal of Trust Inquiry.
Compulsory child safe standards
The Commission welcomes the government's intention to introduce compulsory child safe standards for organisations that provide services to children.
For enquiries about the child safe standards please contact the Department of Health and Human Services by telephone on 9096 0000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Blueprint for change on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander imprisonment and violence rates
“Far too many of our most vulnerable Aboriginal children and young people end up in the criminal justice system. We can do better to support our children and break the cycle of disadvantage."
- Andrew Jackomos
Federal, State and Territory Governments have been handed a detailed blueprint for achieving justice targets, with the aim of closing the gap in the rates of imprisonment of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people by 2040.
Commissioner Jackomos supports Bail Act Amendments relevant to children
Commission for Children and Young People Annual Report 2014-2015
- Commission for Children and Young People Annual Report 2014-2015 - with financials (pdf, 6.1mb)
- Commission for Children and Young People Annual Report 2014-2015 - without financials (pdf, 4.6mb)
Victorian Aboriginal Children's Forum
"...as a good parent would..."
Inquiry into the adequacy of the provision of residential care services to Victorian children and young people who have been subject to sexual abuse or sexual exploitation whilst residing in residential care.
Our core functions include:
- Providing advice to Ministers, Government Departments, health services and human services relating to the safety and wellbeing of vulnerable children and young people.
- Promoting the interests of vulnerable Victorian children and young people.
- Conducting inquiries into service provision or omission in regard to:
- children who have died and were known to child protection at the time of their death or 12 months before their death
- the safety and wellbeing of an individual or group of vulnerable children and young people
- a health service, human service or school where there are persistent or recurring systemic concerns.
For more detailed information about the Commission's functions, see Legislation and Policy