The Commission for Children and Young People
The Commission for Children and Young People has been established to promote continuous improvement and innovation in:
- policies and practices relating to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people generally, and in particular those who are vulnerable
- the provision of out of home care services for children.
The Commission acts with independence and impartiality, demonstrating integrity and respect.
News and events
Volunteers required for our new Independent Visitor Program for residential care services
2 October 2014
We are looking for people interested in being a part of our new Independent Visitor Program for residential care services.
Annual Report 2013-2014
18 September 2014
Our report was tabled in Parliament on 18 September. We are very proud of the work the Commission has undertaken during a very busy and productive time.
Bernie Geary, Principal Commissioner
Andrew Jackomos, Commissioner for Aboriginal Children and Young People
Supporting young children's rights: Statement of intent (2015-2018)
8 September 2014
The Commission has worked with the National Children's Commissioner and Early Childhood Australia to develop a statement of rights for young children.
- Read the statement - Supporting young children's rights: statement of intent 2015-2018
- PDF document
- Complete the survey - Provide your comment on the statement of intent
- SurveyMonkey survey
2014 Debutante Ball for young people in out-of-home care
8 August 2014
Some of the debs and their partners at the Melbourne Town Hall. What a great night for the young people involved.
Inquiry into the adequacy of the provision of services to children and young people who have been subjected to sexual exploitation or sexual abuse whilst residing in residential care
21 May 2014
Submissions are now invited from:
- families, children and young people who have personally experienced residential care
- Child Protection services including front line workers and managers
- community service organisations who provide residential care services, including direct care staff and managers and other service providers.
Australian Children's Commissioners and Guardians Principles for Child Safety in Organisations
Our core functions include:
- Providing advice to Ministers, Government Departments, health services and human services relating to the safety and wellbeing of vulnerable children and young people.
- Promoting the interests of vulnerable Victorian children and young people.
- Conducting inquiries into service provision or omission in regard to:
- children who have died and were known to child protection at the time of their death or 12 months before their death
- the safety and wellbeing of an individual or group of vulnerable children and young people
- a health service, human service or school where there are persistent or recurring systemic concerns.
For more detailed information about the Commission's functions, see Legislation and Policy