The Commission for Children and Young People
The Commission for Children and Young People has been established to promote continuous improvement and innovation in:
- policies and practices relating to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people generally, and in particular those who are vulnerable
- the provision of out of home care services for children.
The Commission acts with independence and impartiality, demonstrating integrity and respect.
News and events
A new principal commissioner begins
We welcome Liana Buchanan, the new Principal Commissioner for Children and Young People.
Lawyer and advocate, she is a part-time commissioner with the Victorian Law Reform Commission and was most recently the Executive Officer of the Federation of Community Legal Centres. She has also been responsible for monitoring the Victorian corrections system as Director, Office of Correctional Services Review and has held legal and policy positions in a number of agencies including the Equal Opportunity Commission Victoria, Office for the Status of Women (SA) and Women’s Legal Service (SA).
Child Safe Standards
The Commission is now responsible for assisting Category 2 organisations that need to be compliant with the new mandatory child safe standards by 1 January 2017.
For details of those organisations in scope for Category 2, please view In scope organisations for child safe standards on the Human Services Victoria website.
To help organisations achieve compliance, we have developed the following guide and tip sheets:
- A guide for creating a child safe organisation - version 2.0 (1.9mb, pdf)
- What to look for in a child safe organisation (362kb, pdf)
- Cultural safety for Aboriginal children (435kb, pdf)
- Safety of children with a disability (249kb, pdf)
- Empowerment and participation of children (266kb, pdf)
- Safety of children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds (229kb, pdf)
For advice you can email us at email@example.com
You can also call us on 86015884.
Royal Commission into Family Violence (Victoria)
We welcome the report of the Commission and its focus on children. In particular, that intervention systems for children will be strengthened as well as responses for Koori women and children.
New Principal Commissioner appointed
Distinguished lawyer and advocate Liana Buchanan has been appointed as Victoria's Principal Commissioner for Children and Young People.
Currently, Liana is the EO for the Federation of Community Legal Centres, and a commissioner with the Victorian Law Reform Commission.
Andrew Jackomos speaks at the Family Matters gathering
The Victorian Commissioner for Aboriginal Children and Young People spoke about the cultural requirements of Aboriginal children in out of home care and the organisational culture of child protection and funded agencies at the Family Matters gathering at Old Parliament House.
Review of Placement Prevention and Reunification Services for Aboriginal Children and families
The Department of Health and Human Services is reviewing Placement, Prevention and Reunification Services for Aboriginal Children and Families.
It is important that the Aboriginal Community and sector voice is heard as part of the review.
Children, Families, Community, ACCOs and CSOs can contribute in three ways:
- by completing a quick on line survey
- attending one of the forums being held across Victoria
- providing a submission or email directly to VERSO Consulting who are undertaking the review.
Commission for Children and Young People Aboriginal Inclusion Action Plan 2016 - 2019
Our core functions include:
- Providing advice to Ministers, Government Departments, health services and human services relating to the safety and wellbeing of vulnerable children and young people.
- Promoting the interests of vulnerable Victorian children and young people.
- Conducting inquiries into service provision or omission in regard to:
- children who have died and were known to child protection at the time of their death or 12 months before their death
- the safety and wellbeing of an individual or group of vulnerable children and young people
- a health service, human service or school where there are persistent or recurring systemic concerns.
For more detailed information about the Commission's functions, see Legislation and Policy